Established in 2005 by the Milstead family, the E.Z. and Helen Milstead Scholarship is awarded to graduating high school seniors from the Franklin (Texas) Independent School District to assist them in pursuing a college degree from an accredited four-year Texas university.
When choosing a recipient, the selection committee will consider financial need, but will not consider race, creed, color or national origin in its deliberations.
- Must be a Franklin High School graduate
- Must attend a 2 year college with plans to transfer to a 4 year institution or attend a 4 year university
- Must have a 3.0 GPA to apply
- Must have a score of 1000 (Verbal & Math) on SAT or 21 on ACT
- Must be enrolled in 12 hours per semester and successfully complete at least 24 semester hours per academic year (not remedial courses and not repeated courses) and earn an overall 2.5 or higher each semester. Dropping courses in order to maintain a 2.5 average will not be allowed for this scholarship.
- Financial need
- Citizenship, leadership
In order to be considered for this scholarship, please submit the following:
- A completed application
- A written essay of no more than two pages expressing motivation for further education
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official current high school transcript
Up to $3,000 to be used during the recipient’s first semester of college
- Scholarship will be given each year
- Half will be given in the fall semester and half in the spring semester with verification of enrollment & grades
- Student will present the Franklin High School counselor with a copy of his/her grades each semester before dispersement of funds.
- Scholarship can be used for:
- Tuition & Fees
- Books & Supplies
- Room & Board
Please contact the counselor at Franklin High School to apply.
This scholarship may be renewable per semester for an additional seven consecutive semesters if the recipient earns a 2.5 GPA each semester. Recipient must register for courses totaling at least 12 hours or be considered a full-time student by the institution for renewal eligibility. The recipient must provide an official transcript following each semester in order to receive the next semester’s payment.
Download Reference Form